Federal Work-Study Programs

Work-study programs funded by the federal government may be part of the financial aid a college offers you. You should indicate on your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) that you want work-study assistance, or notify the Student Finance department at your college that you are interested.

The programs provide jobs for undergraduate and graduate students who have demonstrated financial need so they may be able to earn money to pay educational expenses. Students’ work week hours will be determined by the institution, and the pay is based on federal minimum wage standards.

For more information:

Like applying for scholarships and grants, you need to be proactive. Most colleges and universities have limited amounts of money designated for work-study programs. You'll want to be at the front of the line, which means applying early and providing all the information that's required.