Colleges, universities, individual states, and the federal government provide grants for post-secondary education. Like scholarships, grants typically do not need to be repaid, and they are usually not considered income for tax purposes.

Click on the federal programs listed below to learn more, and check with your high school guidance counselor or the college you plan to attend. To apply for these programs, you must complete the FAFSA and be eligible for federal financial aid.

Federal Pell Grants

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

In addition, several federal agencies, including Veterans Affairs, the Department of the Interior, the Department of Health and Human Services, and AmeriCorps, offer grants. So do private organizations. The best place to start is with your high school counselor and the Student Finance department at your college or university.